Victims in good to moderate condition after their jeep was apparently hit by roadside bomb close to Majdal Shams
The military aircraft were en route to Bor, the scene of some of the nation’s most deadly violence over the past week. One service member is in critical condition.
Monday, 16 September, 2013
At least 42 people have been shot dead near a military barracks in Cairo, amid ongoing unrest following the removal of Egypt’s President Mohammed Morsi.
The Muslim Brotherhood says its members were staging a pro-Morsi sit-in at the barracks, where he is believed to be in detention, when they were fired on.
But the army said a “terrorist group” had tried to storm the barracks.
The office of interim president Adly Mansour expressed “deep sorrow” over the deaths and called for restraint.
In a statement, he too said there had been an attempt to storm the Presidential Guard barracks.
Mr Mansour ordered the formation of a judicial committee to investigate the clashes, and urged protesters not to approach the military or “vital installations”.
At least 18 people have been killed and another 22 wounded in explosions in a Turkish town close to the Syrian border, officials say.
The blasts were reported in the town of Reyhanli in Hatay province, The interior minister told Turkish media they were caused by car bombs.
Thousands of refugees have fled Syria across the Reyhanli border.
Five people were killed last October when a mortar round hit the Turkish border town of Akcakale.
As many as four explosions were reported at around 13:45 local time (10:45 GMT), causing panic in the town, Turkish media said.
Reyhanli mayor Huseyin Sanverdi said a municipal building and a post office were hit. The municipal offices were badly damaged, reports said.
Local media reported that local people attacked cars with Syrian number-plates and Syrian refugees following the attack.
Interior Minister Muammer Guler promised a government investigation. He said there were fears the number of casualties could increase.
Meanwhile Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Turkey would protect itself.
“No-one should attempt to test Turkey’s power. Our security forces will take all necessary measures,” Reuters news agency quoted him as saying in a visit to Berlin.
The border area of Reyhanli has itself been attacked in recent months. In February, 13 people were killed and more than 20 others wounded when a mortar round landed close to a border gate.
The Turkish government has been a key supporter of the Syrian opposition, and has allowed rebels as well as refugees onto its territory.
But tensions in the Reyhanli area have been high for several weeks, reports say, with clashes between Turkish and Syrian youths.
Four dead in Peshawar as militants battle with security forces in suspected attempt to break cohorts free from jail
A suicide bomber blew himself up in a courtroom in the north-westPakistani city of Peshawar, killing four people and wounding more than 40 others, officials said.
Two militants attacked the back of the court compound and were confronted by three police guards, according to police officer Masood Afridi. The militants shot and wounded the policemen, but not before one of the guards killed one of the suicide bombers.
The other bomber managed to get into the courtroom and detonated his explosives, said Afridi.
Four people were killed and 47 wounded in the attack, said Habib Arif, a senior government official in Peshawar. Twenty of the wounded were discharged from the hospital after receiving first aid, while 27 remained under treatment, said Arif.
The female judge who was presiding over the session inside the courtroom that was attacked was among the wounded, said a police officer, Mohammad Arshad Khan.
Naeem Ullah was standing outside the courtroom when the bomber blew himself up. The blast “caused all of the glass in the windows to break, and I was wounded in my leg and back”, said Ullah. He spoke while receiving treatment at a local hospital.
The attackers may have been trying to free militant colleagues jailed on the premises of the compound, said Mian Iftikhar Hussain, the information minister for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, where Peshawar is the provincial capital.
Hussain initially suggested the attackers may have taken hostages, but later said the situation was under control.
TV footage showed people running for safety, including wounded people being assisted by others. They included two police officers, a lawyer and other civilians, including one man whose clothes had been torn to shreds. Police commandos and army soldiers rushed toward the complex as the wounded were shifted to stretchers and taken to the hospital.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
Elsewhere, in the southern port city of Karachi paramilitary forces arrested a militant leader who was involved in the kidnapping and murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in 2002, said two paramilitary officials speaking on condition of anonymity.
Qari Abdul Hayee, a former leader of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi militant group in southern Sindh province, was detained on Sunday in Karachi, according to the officials. He also went by the name Asadullah and was involved in other attacks in Karachi, they said.
March 18, 2013 – Somali men carry a seriously wounded man after a car bomb blast close to the Somali government’s headquarters in the capital Mogadishu, Somalia. (AP)
Flames and smoke rose over the explosion as emergency vehicles drove to the scene. The blast happened close to the Somali government’s headquarters.
Mohamed Abdi, a police officer who was injured in the blast, said it appeared that the target of the attack was a truck of Somali intelligence officials. Abdi Mohamud Aden, a Somali police captain, said at least seven people were killed and 10 wounded. He said that number could rise.
A journalist who was wounded in the blast while sitting in a nearby restaurant said several people inside the restaurant were injured.
The Islamic extremist group al-Shabab has continued to carry out terror attacks in Somalia’s capital since being pushed out of Mogadishu in late 2011. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
The blast rattled buildings nearby, shattering glass windows. After the attack, soldiers fired in the air to try to open blocked streets so patients could get to hospitals. Inside Mogadishu’s Daru Shifa hospital, a wounded soldier cried out for aid as blood gushed from his badly wounded right leg.
“I was trying to cross the street when the blast went off,” he said. “Terrorists want to deprive us of peace,” he said, biting his lips in agony.
Shocked bystanders stared at the pools of blood on the ground at the blast site. One woman cried.
“They (al-Shabab) are the enemies of Somalia and Muslims,” she said. “They kill our children, elderly and everyone. They are brutal and inhumane and feed blood and terror with their minds.”
Al-Shabab controlled much of south-central Somalia, including Mogadishu, from 2006 to mid-2011, when African Union troops ousted the fighters from the capital. Since then al-Shabab has been on the run, as troops from Uganda, Burundi and Kenya have expanded areas under the control of the Somali government.
Feb. 19, 2013: A body lays in the intersection of Wanda Road and Katella Avenue in Orange County, Calif., as local police agencies investigate the scene. (AP/The Orange County Register)
Authorities say a shooting spree through Orange County, Calif., has left four people dead, including the shooter, and two others injured before the man stopped and shot himself to death in a stolen car, police said.
The shootings began early Tuesday morning when deputies responding to a call of a carjacking found a female shot multiple times in a house in Ladera Ranch, said Orange County sheriff’s spokesman Jim Amormino. The city is in the southern part of the suburban county about 30 miles south of Los Angeles.
The shooter was said to be armed with two long guns.
The suspect, described as a man in his 20s, fled the scene in an SUV, according to the LA Times.
Three more people were fatally shot in the next 25 minutes after carjackings in Tustin and Santa Ana.
“There are multiple (crime) scenes throughout Tustin and the surrounding areas,” said Tustin Police Lt. Paul Garaven.
Police say there were a total of six shooting scenes across the county.
The first call that came in was at Red Hill Avenue and Interstate 5. Police arrived and determined a carjacking had occurred and that victim was uninjured. An innocent bystander who was hit by gunfire was taken to a hospital, Garaven said.
The next call was at State Route 55 and McFadden Avenue. Another carjacking occurred and that victim died, Garaven said.
The last call was about a man with a gun, he said, at Edinger Avenue east of the 55. An officer arrived and found two more victims — one dead and the other injured.
Authorities located the suspect in a stolen vehicle and followed him to the city of Orange, according to Garaven. When police stopped him, the suspect shot himself at an intersection. Police recovered a shotgun from the scene.
Garaven says the suspect succeeded in stealing a vehicle at each carjacking.
“There have been other people coming forward saying they were shot at or their cars were shot at,” he said, but so far none had reported any serious injury.
The conditions of the wounded victims were unknown.
A spokeswoman for the California Highway Patrol said they didn’t have any active crime scenes on the freeway but the southbound 55 McFadden Avenue off-ramp would be closed until further notice.
The motive for the shootings is still unclear and it’s also unclear if the victims knew each other or the shooter.
“I do not believe any of the victims are related to each other. It might have been a random thing,” he said. “We just don’t know.”