Opposition source says Lebanon-based militia sending troops to reclaim two areas around capital held by rebels
Prophecy Being Fulfilled
1 September 2013
Damascus is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world. The prophet Isaiah told us that the city of Damascus, Syria will become a ruinous heap. We are now witnessing this prophecy. The Syrian civil war has taken a toll on Damascus. Now the city is threatened with a western military strike due to president Assad supposedly using chemical weapons. I believe that this prophecy is soon to be fulfilled.
Commentary By: Gordon King
Bible prophecy is coming to pass right before our eyes. The Middle East in turmoil, Egypt at the brink of civil war, Syria deep into civil war, Iran developing nuclear weapons and threatening to destroy Israel, Israel’s neighbors ready to wipe her off the face of the map!
If America and the United Nations attack Syria, will this be the end of Damascus?
I can see it now, missiles and bombs striking Damascus. Isaiah 17 says: “The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.”
I thought Damascus already looks like a ruinous heap. We shall soon see.
What bible prophecy will happen after that? Psalm 83 war? If so, then Syria being attacked may be the trigger that starts the war.
This is an exciting time to be alive folks. To actually watch biblical prophecy unfolding before our very eyes! Wow!
On the other hand, if you are not a Christian, then it is probably a very frightening time to be alive. Not knowing what to expect. What your future holds for you. Christians know what is coming. God has told us through his word, the bible.
If you are not a believer in Jesus Christ, then I strongly urge you to consider accepting him as your God. Then you can be certain that whatever happens here on earth, you will reserve a place for yourself in Heaven. Eternal life without fear, doubt, misery. A perfect life with God.
Moscow calls on West to await results of UN inspection of alleged gas attack site before military action, even as capitals say mounting evidence Assad regime to blame
The US believes the Syrian regime’s allowing of a UN chemical weapons inspection team to probe the site of an alleged attack is too little too late, even as Moscow has urged Washington and its allies to await the team’s findings before launching military action.
Moscow welcomed Syria’s decision to allow international experts to examine the area in a Damascus suburb where at least 100 people died in the suspected attack last week. Syrian and UN officials are working to finalize the timing of the visit.
The official said the regime’s continuing shelling of the site also further corrupts any available evidence of the attack.
The Obama administration official said a belated decision to grant access to the UN team would be considered “too late to be credible.”
(AP) BEIRUT – Activists are reporting fierce battles and shelling in suburbs of the Syrian capital where the opposition claimed a chemical weapons attack this week killed more than 100 people.
In neighboring Lebanon, the army said in a statement that troops have captured a truck with “large amounts” of gas masks in the southeastern village of Kfeir near the border with Syria.
It did not say whether the masks were heading to Syria.
The offensive entered its third day Friday and comes as U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged the Syrian government to allow a U.N. team now in Damascus to swiftly investigate the alleged attack.
Ban is also sending U.N. disarmament chief Angela Kane to Syria to press for an investigation.
The U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported the fighting Friday.
William Hague has warned that the Syrian civil war was turning into this century’s “greatest humanitarian catastrophe” as a new report set out systematic violations of the rules of war.
Photo: Khalil Ashawi/Reuters
6:30AM BST 11 Apr 2013
Britain invited four leaders of the Syrian Opposition Coalition to be present on the sidelines of the meeting in an effort to increase support for the regime’s opponents.
“I will be joining and convening some of those meetings to discuss the urgent humanitarian needs and the urgent need for a political and diplomatic breakthrough,” said Mr Hague. “This is turning into the greatest humanitarian catastrophe of the 21st century so far and we cannot watch this happen.”
Leaders of the Syrian National Council (SNC) on Wednesday held talks with those foreign ministers willing to meet them, securing a pledge of more support from John Kerry, the US Secretary of State.
However the effort was overshadowed by a declaration from Jabhat al-Nusra, the most effective fighting force in the opposition, of loyalty to al-Qaeda.
An audio recording of the al-Nusra leader, Abu Mohammad al-Golani, formally pledged allegiance to al-Qaeda’s Ayman al-Zawahiri, just a day after fundamentalists in Iraq had announced a cross border alliance.
Rebels from Jabhat al-Nusra at Taftanaz air base in the Idlib province in January (AP)
A report from Human Rights Watch said Syrian jets and helicopters had repeatedly attacking civilians by targeting bakeries and hospitals.
“In village after village, we found a civilian population terrified by their country’s own air force,” said Ole Solvang, one of the researchers responsible for the survey, Death from the Skies.
“These illegal air strikes killed and injured many civilians and sowed a path of destruction, fear, and displacement.”
Syrian forces began using helicopters as attack weapons in March of last year, as the uprising turned into a fully-fledged insurgency and rebel fighters began to occupy towns, villages and suburbs across the country.
But the first sustained aerial bombardments began last July after the Free Syrian Army launched a surprise attack seizing half of Aleppo and some Damascus suburbs.
The first recorded jet attack took place on July 24 in Aleppo city.
Since then, the survey says, attacks have happened daily, with an opposition monitoring organisation relying on local activists, the Violations Documentation Centre, recording the names and date and place of death of 4,472 individuals, some rebels but more than 4,000 of them civilians.
HRW itself investigated 55 individual attacks, which killed 152 people, and found that contrary to some claims over the course of the uprising, activists’ casualty figures were an underestimate.
It documents eight attacks on four bakeries, which it said killed 35 people and 11 on two hospitals. The Dar al-Shifa Hospital, the main emergency centre in rebel-held Aleppo, and its surroundings were bombed eight times, and a makeshift hospital in Salma, Latakia province, three times.
The regime admitted one of the attacks on Dar al-Shifa, despite hospitals being protected under the Geneva Convention, HRW pointed out.
Many other attacks would count as illegal under the rules of war because of their indiscriminate nature – the Russian missiles and, occasionally, homemade weapons used have no guidance systems, even if rebel units were being targeted. But in any case, the report quoted defecting army officers saying that the regime intended attacks to be inaccurate so as to scare the civilian population and force them to leave.
“Ninety per cent, even 95 per cent of the bombing is random,” it quoted one pilot as saying. “What’s the purpose? To scare the population, terrorise people, and make them turn their back on the revolution.
“Pilots would dive in, attack, but then go back up without shooting. Then they [the commanders] would force them, ordering them to shoot.”