We won’t suffice with words, Liberman warns after attack

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman at Sarona Market shopping center in Tel Aviv, on June 9, 2016. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman at Sarona Market shopping center in Tel Aviv, on June 9, 2016. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

IDF to bolster troop presence in West Bank; defense minister visits site of Tel Aviv shooting, which has returned to life hours after gunmen killed 4


(SOURCE)   Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman vowed Israel would respond to a deadly terror attack in Tel Aviv a day earlier, as the IDF announced it would send two additional battalions to shore up its forces in the West Bank.

Liberman visited the Max Brenner restaurant at the upscale Sarona Market shopping complex in central Tel Aviv, which returned to life with diners and politicians making solidarity visits Thursday morning, just hours after two Palestinian gunmen opened fire Wednesday night, killing four people and injuring 16.

“I came here first and foremost to salute Tel Aviv residents who have again had to suffer a terrible event like this, a serious terror attack, and despite this they are able to return to everyday life and prove that life is stronger than terror,” Liberman said.

Israelis seen eating at Benedict restaurant at Sarona Market shopping center in Tel Aviv, on June 9, 2016, the morning after a fatal terror attack took place there. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

Israelis seen eating at Benedict restaurant at Sarona Market shopping center in Tel Aviv, on June 9, 2016, the morning after a fatal terror attack took place there. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

“Additionally, I do not plan to speak about and detail the moves we plan to make but, I am certain that I will not suffice with just words.”

The attack is being seen as the first major test for Liberman, who was sworn in as defense minister just a week ago.

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman shows his support drinking coffee at Sarona Market shopping center in Tel Aviv, on June 9, 2016. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman shows his support drinking coffee at Sarona Market shopping center in Tel Aviv, on June 9, 2016. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

Hours after announcing it had clamped down on measures meant to ease Palestinian freedom of movement during the Ramadan holiday, the IDF said it would ramp up its forces in the West Bank with two additional battalions to support the Judea and Samaria Division operating in the area.

The two gunmen hailed from the southern West Bank town of Yatta and were in Israel illegally. On Wednesday night, IDF forces placed a closure on the town and raided the home of one of the terrorists.

The army said in a statement it was reinforcing its troop presence “in accordance with situation assessments.”

The army declined to provide details on numbers of troops, but battalions are usually made up of several hundred soldiers.

An Israel soldier at the entrance of the Palestinian town of Yatta in the West Bank on June 9, 2016. (AFP/HAZEM BADE)

An Israel soldier at the entrance of the Palestinian town of Yatta in the West Bank on June 9, 2016. (AFP/HAZEM BADE)

Both gunmen were reported to have entered Israel illegally and carried out the attack with makeshift guns that have become the hallmark of a wave of Palestinian attacks.

The Hamas terror group said in a message Thursday morning that the two men were members of the organization.

The head of a regional council in the northern Negev whose jurisdiction lies in part along the border with the southern West Bank said she had been reassured by a Defense Ministry official Thursday that breaks in the security barrier between Israel and the West Bank would be repaired in the coming weeks.

Bnei Shimon Regional Council Sigal Moran said in a statement the council had for years been warning about gaps in the fence through which Palestinians slip into Israel illegally.

Moran noted she had sent a message on Thursday to Liberman highlighting problem in the wake of the terror attack.

“I want to bring to your attention that for many years we have been running a campaign to close the fence in the eastern seam line which is completely broken,” she wrote. “Of all the things involved in preventing an attacks, this can be done and quickly.”

Moran said an aide to Liberman called her in response and told her that work to plug the gaps would begin in a month.

AFP contributed to this report.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s