Officials: At least 28 dead, over 300 wounded in Kabul attack

AP AFGHANISTAN I AFG

Afghan security forces inspect the site of a Taliban attack in Kabul, Afghanistan on Tuesday.(Photo: Rahmat Gul, AP)

(SOURCE)   At least 28 people were killed and more than 300 wounded Tuesday in a coordinated attack by the Taliban that included a suicide bombing in the Afghan capital of Kabul, Afghan officials said.

The suicide bomber detonated a vehicle laden with explosives before gunmen entered the compound of a government secret service unit whose role was to protect VIPs, local broadcaster TOLOnews reported.

It said a two-hour gun battle between security forces and insurgents ensued. President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack, which started at about 9 a.m. local time.

Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi said many of the 28 dead were civilians,TOLOnews reported. Ismael Kawosi, a spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health, said that 327 people were taken to hospitals, it added.

Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said at least one of the attackers was killed in a gun battle, the Associated Press reported.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the assault. The Taliban has stepped up attacks since announcing the beginning of its spring offensive last week.

Read Full Article…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s