Second massacre in days leaves 20 dead in east DR Congo

BBC map

Militants have killed at least 20 people, said to be mostly women and children, in the second massacre in two days near the DR Congo town of Beni

(SOURCE)  A local pastor told BBC News they had been killed with guns, machetes and axes in the village of Eringeti.

A local rights group said the killers had come from neighbouring Uganda.

However, a local official could not confirm the allegation. On Thursday, 26 people were killed near Beni, also mostly women or children.

The town’s mayor accused a Ugandan Islamist group, the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), of that attack.

Both the DR Congolese army and the UN have bases in Eringeti, 55km (34 miles) from Beni.

The UN mission in the DR Congo has been repeatedly criticised for failing to protect civilians, the BBC’s Maud Jullien notes.

Read Full Article…