A global military intervention is needed to curb the largest ever Ebola outbreak, according to the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres.
(SOURCE) In a damning criticism of world leaders, it says the global response has so far been “lethally inadequate”.
The charity said countries were turning their back on West Africa and merely reducing the risk of Ebola arriving on their shores.
More than 1,550 people have died in the outbreak which started in Guinea.
At least 3,000 people have been infected with the virus, but the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that more than 20,000 people are likely to be infected.
‘Coalition of inaction’
In a speech to the United Nations, the international president of MSF, Dr Joanne Liu, said repeated calls for help had been ignored.
She said: “Six months into the worst Ebola epidemic in history, the world is losing the battle to contain it.
“Leaders are failing to come to grips with this transnational threat.
“The WHO announcement on August 8 that the epidemic constituted a ‘public health emergency of international concern’ has not led to decisive action, and states have essentially joined a global coalition of inaction.”
MSF said military and civilian teams capable of dealing with a biological disaster were needed immediately as the spread of Ebola “will not be prevented without a massive deployment”.