(SOURCE) Paris — France said Tuesday it would send hundreds of extra troops to the strife-torn Central African Republic after the UN warned the country was descending into “complete chaos”.
Calls were growing for an international reaction to the violence in CAR amid mounting warnings that the mineral-rich but desperately poor nation was on the verge of genocide and faced a “human catastrophe of epic proportions.”
Reports have described a litany of horrors in the landlocked, sprawling country, with security forces and militia gangs razing villages, carrying out public execution-style killings and perpetrating widespread rapes.
France has proposed a UN Security Council resolution that would authorise international troops to use force in its former colony and on Tuesday Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Paris would send more troops to assist a beleaguered African mission.
“France will support this African mission with about 1,000 soldiers,” Le Drian said on Europe 1 radio, adding that the deployment would be “for a short period, in the range of about six months”.
In contrast to its military intervention earlier this year another former colony, Mali, France this time would be working to assist “an African force that is already in the process of being set up”, Le Drian said.