(SOURCE) By Jason WellsNovember 4, 2013, 10:14 a.m.
Someone tried to ignite leaking gas and blow up a fraternity house at UC Davis on Sunday as members slept inside, officials said.
Residents of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity reported smelling natural gas around 1 a.m. Sunday. According to an alert posted by the college, someone deliberately caused the leak and then tried to ignite the gas with “several residents” inside.
“We smelled the gas, and we knew something was up,” Fredy Aguilar, vice president of the fraternity, told Fox 40.
The explosion would have taken out the house and damaged surrounding properties, officials said.
“I really just want to know why they would wish us harm,” fraternity President Npa Kywi said. “I don’t feel we’ve done anything to deserve this.”