Rockport 5 Fire now 1,500 acres with 5% containment


Hundreds of residents are out of their homes Tuesday night due to a 1,500-acre fire that has ravaged areas around Summit County communities.

The fast-growing fire near Rockport State Park destroyed 15 structures, threatened several others and forced evacuations of several neighborhoods.

Residents from Rockport Estates, Promontory and Bridgehollow Subdivision have been evacuated.

There are 60-70 fire personnel battling the flames. Crews will stay on scene to build a fire line to protect the homes.

The blaze is 5 percent contained.

Gov. Gary Herbert is on his way up to Summit County to see destruction of the Rockport 5 Fire with his own eyes.

Summit County fire officials said the blaze started around 1 p.m. near S.R. 32 and had grown to about 1,500 acres by 6:40. The fire was caused by lightning.

Residents of the Rockport Estates neighborhood were the first to be evacuated, followed by Sunrise Loop in Promontory and the Bridgehollow subdivision.

The homes that were destroyed were in the Rockport Estates subdivision. Firefighters were working to protect another 10-15 homes in that subdivision that were at immediate risk of being consumed by the fast-moving fire.

The Utah Red Cross opened an evacuation center at North Summit Middle School, 64 S 100 E in Coalville and another evacuation center at the LDS ward at 510 Silver Summit Pkwy. in Park City.

Displaced residents can call (435) 336-3500 or (435) 615-3500 to determine what time Wednesday they will be allowed reentry, Summit County officials said.

Electricity has now been restored to residents in Coalville, Hoytsville, Hennefer and Echo Junction. Rocky Mountain Power intentionally turned off the electricity in the communities to prevent interruptions to the firefighting efforts. Power outage information for those three communities can be found at

Utah State Parks and Recreation officials also closed the Riverside Campground at Rockport State Park due to the fire.

The Summit County Sheriff’s Office requested a road closure on S.R. 32 from I-80 (mile post 28) to Brown’s Canyon Rd (mile post 22).

State fire officials were joined by firefighters from Park City, North Summit and South Summit in fighting the fire.

A DC-10 aircraft was deployed to drop retardant on the blaze. Four hand crews are expected to arrive on the scene Wednesday morning.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency approved a fire management assistance grant to help fund the firefighting efforts.