4 Shot, 3 Dead in Kentucky Condominium Complex Shooting

Condo Shooting

Residents Kora Thompson, left, and Joey Hopper watch activity at the scene of the Lakeview Condominiums shooting in Louisville, Ky., on Wednesday, June 19, 2013. Three people were shot to death and a fourth was seriously injured at a condominium building Wednesday. (AP Photo/The Courier-Journal, Matt Herp)

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A domestic situation apparently prompted the midweek shooting at a condominium complex in an upscale Louisville neighborhood that claimed three lives and left a fourth person badly wounded, police said.


Louisville Metro Police spokesman Dwight Mitchell identified the dead from the shooting Wednesday afternoon as a girl, a 38-year-old woman and a 40-year-old man. He didn’t release their names nor disclose a possible motive in the hours after the shooting.


He added that a woman in her 60s was hospitalized in critical condition after the shooting Wednesday afternoon.


The shooting at the Lakeview Condominum complex located near a neighborhood of upper middle class homes in Louisville is being investigated by a homicide unit, Mitchell said.


He said the suspect apparently was among the dead and police don’t think anyone was “on the loose.” He didn’t identify the suspect but said police had gathered evidence and were interviewing witnesses.


The University of Louisville Hospital, contacted by The Associated Press early Thursday, said it could not release any information on the woman’s condition until she was identified by name.

Condo Shooting

Police tape ropes off area at Lakeview Condominiums, where three people were shot to death and a fourth was seriously injured at a condominium building Wednesday, June 19, 2013 in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/The Courier-Journal, Michael Dossett)


Mitchell said the shootings took place inside a residence but he declined to say whether there were other people inside at the time.


The Lakeview Condominiums complex lies in a neighborhood filled with upper-middle-class homes with manicured lawns.


About two hours after the shootings, a man and a woman who was crying went to the area cordoned off by police. They didn’t speak to reporters but crossed the police tape and talked briefly to an officer before being escorted back to their vehicle to leave.


About a half-hour later, a different pair came and also spoke to police, the woman visibly shaken and weeping, before being walked back to their vehicle and driving off.


Molly Hoekstra said she has lived in the complex for nearly two years. She returned home Wednesday to find the building blocked off by police tape.


“It’s always been really safe and neighborly,” she said of the community, adding she was shaken up and would spend the night with relatives.


Alexa Hall, a resident, told The Courier-Journal newspaper ( http://cjky.it/104yWAC ) of Louisville that she was at the complex’s pool when a man and a boy came running, shouting that shots had been fired. They urged someone to call police, according to the newspaper.


She described a scene of panic and confusion soon after the shooting.


“Nobody really knew what to do,” she said, adding people stood by watching as police arrived.