Country wants film about attempt to assassinate Kim Jong-un banned and says failure to stop its release will be ‘act of war’
About 70 short-range rockets have been fired into the sea this month, including 30 on Saturday
In Tel Aviv University address, PM compares fundamentalist Islam to North Korea, reiterates demand for more pressure on Iran
Group executions were believed to be carried out in seven cities, including Wonsan, where 10,000 watched eight people die by firing squad in a sports stadium.
AFP – North Korea on Monday lashed out at a new military pact between the South and the US aimed at guarding against potential nuclear attacks and threatened a “final destruction”.
Seoul and Washington last week signed a new joint strategy to counter the growing threat of a North Korean nuclear or chemical weapons attack.
Defence chiefs of the two allies said the new “strategic framework” for dealing with “key North Korean nuclear threat scenarios” would greatly enhance their deterrence capacity in the wake of the North’s third atomic test in February.
The two nations along with Japan are also to stage a massive joint naval drill near the Korean peninsula from Tuesday to Thursday involving the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS George Washington.